Google Play store is Android’s digital distributed service center where Apps, Games, Music and Videos are provided for the users. Play Store is one of the core component in Android ecosystem, as it acts as a market place for consumers to download and use the apps based on their requirement.
As we know, Android users are spread across globe and each Android device will have their location setup. Currently, not all Apps or Games are available to all country users. It may be due to Google’s policy or App Developer’s wish, so an App can be specific to only a country or region too. This “How to change the country or region in Google Play Store” guide will help you overcome this restriction and enjoy the benefits of all the Apps.
Why change the country or region in Play Store
Below are some of the reasons why one may need to change the region in Google Play Store settings:
- To download and experience Apps or Games not available in a country.
- In case a person moved to a new country and needs to use that region specific apps during the stay.
- To use Google Play Credit which is in a different currency from his or her present region’s currency. Google Play Credit can be received as gifts or prizes.
Methods to change the location in Play Store
Based on the need or purpose, below methods can be used to change the region in Play Store
- How to change the country in Google Play Store using VPN
- How to change the country in Google Play Store at Google backend
How to change the country in Google Play Store using VPN
This method of changing the region is predominantly for scenario where one needs to try and use apps or games not available in that specific location. Follow the below steps to accomplish the same:
- First choose and install a good VPN app. For the uninitiated, VPN is Virtual Private network which enables to mask your true IP address in network there will not disclose your original location. Some of the best VPNs are Express VPN, Nord VPN and Pure VPN.
- Once installed, open the VPN and choose the country of your choice and establish the connection
- Go to Settings -> All Apps -> Select Google Play Store App in your device.
- Here, clear the data and force stop the Google Play Store App.
- Now re-launch the App again and Play Store version of the country you selected in step 2 should appear.
- In case the above didn’t work disable your SIM in Settings Menu. Remove your Google account from Setting Menu.
- Then restart the device and launch the VPN app again. Complete country selection process.
- Open the Google Play Store App, it will ask for account details. Provide your Google account details and enter the App.
Now Apps and Games from the new region should be visible. Please note: only when the steps to 5 didn’t work, the remaining steps should be performed.
How to change the country in Google Play Store at Google Backend
This method is more complex compared to the first one. Main purpose of using this technique are: when a person is moved to a new country or if he has to use a Google Play credit which is in different currency from his existing country. Let’s check on the steps to complete this process.
- Create a new payment profile with Google account. To do this go to link, payments.google.com.
- After logging in, Click ‘Settings’ -> Country -> Edit the option
- Click the ‘Create New Profile’ and choose the desired country. Enter the complete address details and click submit
- To make sure, the above process is successful go to Play Store App through Settings in device.
- Clear the cache and data using the options present.
- Restart the Google Play Store App.
- Make sure the existing and old payment methods are deleted from the account. The option to delete the existing payment is found in the ‘Setting’s menu as per point 2.
- Also all existing subscriptions (if any) to any Google App should be cancelled.
The last two steps are important for successful change in country in the App. If this is not done, the change in location will not be reflected properly.
If the above two methods are followed based on the reason, this “How to change the country or region in Google Play Store” guide will work without any issues.